The British Iris Society (BIS) was founded in 1922 to promote the cultivation of Irises. It is a registered charity.
Its aims and objectives are still consistent with those of its founders, namely:
- Promote, improve and extend the cultivation of irises and other Iridaceae as appropriate.
- Encourage the pursuit of knowledge relating to the family of Iridaceae.
- Organise displays, exhibitions and meetings open to the public.
- Collaborate with Botanic Gardens, Horticultural Societies, Registration Authorities for Irises and other similar bodies, both national and international, in any matters relating to the genus Iris and other Iridaceae as deemed appropriate.
- Share and exchange information, facilities and services with Iris Societies in other countries.
Its membership grows a wide range of plants and it is often said that there is an iris for every soil condition. Some members also continue the long tradition of breeding new varieties while others work hard to preserve historic ones. The BIS counts a number of Plant Heritage National Collection Holders amongst its members.
The BIS maintains close relationships with independent specialist groups who promote particular aspects of the world of irises and geographical groups.
The BIS as part of a global community
Across the world people love irises and grow them, breed them and preserve them. Here are some of the other groups and individuals we work with:
- www.arilsociety.org The Aril Society International devoted to promoting Aril and Arilbred Irises.
- www.beardlessiris.org The Group for Beardless Irises specialising in Japanese, Siberian, Spuria & Pacific Coast along with the other beardless irises and iridaceae
- www.cdn-iris.ca The Canadian Iris Society
- www.euroiris.net Middle-European Iris Society
- www.historiciris.org The Historic Iris Preservation Society
- www.iris-bulbeuses.org The Iris and Bulbous Plant Society for the promoton of iris, other irides and bulbous plants.
- www.irises.org The American Iris Society
- www.irises.org.au Iris Society of Australia - the covering organisation for all the regional societies of Australia
- www.irisfirenze.it Sociera Italiana dell'Iris - the website of the Italian Iris Society
- www.louisianas.org The Society for Louisana Irises is an American based society for the promotion of Louisiana irises.
- www.medianiris.com The American based society for median bearded irises (Border Bearded, Intermediate Bearded, Standard Dwarf Bearded and Miniature Tall Bearded.
- www.nziris.org.nz The New Zealand Iris Society
- www.pacificbulbsociety.org Started in 2002 for bulb lovers around the world. Includes iris and other iridaceae.
- www.pacificcoastiris.org The Society for the Pacific Coast Native Iris
- www.rebloomingiris.com The Reblooming Iris Society Website, both bearded and beardless.
- www.ruiris.narod.ru The Russian Iris Society website.
- www.signa.org The Species Iris Group of North America
- www.socji.org The Society for Japanese Irises
- https://www.irises.org/ppal/OnlineDISJoin.htmlwww.historiciris.blogspot.com The Dwarf Iris Society of America
- www.historiciris.blogspot.com The historic iris blog of New Zealand based Terry Johnson.
- http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MIS-Robin/ Yahoo group dedicated to Median irises.
- http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/ARILROBIN/ A Yahoo communications forum for pure Arils and also hybrids between Arils and other bearded irises.
- http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/BeardlessIrisPhotos/ A Yahoo group for the exchange of photos of Siberian, Japanese and beardless species.
- http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/Louisiana-Iris/ Yahoo group dedicated to Louisiana Irises
- http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/SpaceAgeRobin/ Yahoo group for those interested in growing and hybridising 'Space Age' irises.